. Mardi Robyn: Throwback Posts: Stop the World Mardi Robyn: Throwback Posts: Stop the World

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Throwback Posts: Stop the World

For sometime I have thought about all the distractions in life. As quickly as I would think about them, I would push the thought aside letting distractions take me farther from what God was trying to tell me. Personally I am influenced by to many distractions, it all seems so easy being caught up in the noise of life. It's all around us. It isn't going anywhere, but we can choose to put in on hold, to mute the button for a little while just to spend time with God, to draw closer to Him developing a stronger walk with Him.

For me, distractions come mainly in two forms, internet and t.v. I can spend hours online doing almost nothing but wasting time. I don't consider it a waste of time talking to family and friends online, its the time I spend online when I am not talking to anyone, or doing anything in particular. Often times I'll have the t.v. on while being online, most of the time I'm not really paying attention to the program I have on, I just turn it on for the noise. Speaking of noise, I am constantly surrounded by noise, if it isn't my t.v., it's the television in the den when my parents are watching t.v. but usually I can drown it out by going to my room, then there is my ceiling fan I keep it on high most all the time even in winter, I'm weird like that, and there is my air purifier I keep it on at night because I like the noise. Turn all of the noise makers off and I feel lost. Unless of course I'm outside, but then there is peaceful noise all around me, birds singing, wind blowing through the trees, dog barking trying to get my attention, to me that is the best kind of noise, I have no problem with that. Its the other noises that can be distracting. Usually when I get online at night I am on it until I go to bed. Last night I decided to turn it off earlier than I normally do, leave the television off, and read. Something I love to do but lately do little of. After reading I listened to my MP3 player listening to Artists, Matthew West, Newsong, Crabb Family, Bluetree, Jeremy Camp and some others.........peaceful! I was actually able to hear myself think, to be quiet and just talk to God, and listen... I talk to God, but I don't always take the time to listen, I let the noise of life distract me. I go in a hurried pace as if I have to do everything fast to get to the next thing on my list of things to do, slow is rarely in my vocabulary. My goal is to cut back on so many distractions. Sure I will still use the internet and sometimes watch television, but I am going to try to spend less time doing it. You can enjoy something, without letting it overtake you to the point where it becomes a distraction. Listening to a song earlier by Matthew West I haven't listened to much. I wonder why I hadn't paid closer attention to the lyrics before, it echoes what my heart screams out...


Stop the World

"The TV is talking the telephones ringing
the lights are all on and the radio's screaming
A million distractions are stealing my heart from You

I'm tired and empty This life is relentless
It weakens my knees and breaks my defenses
it's wearing me down and I'm desperate to hear from You.

Stop the world I wanna get out
I need an escape away from this crowd
Just to hear You
Speak to Me

I need to be still before I make a move
I need to be humble with nothing to prove
I need Your Word to show me the truth
And I need time precious time

Stop the world I wanna get out
I need an escape away from this crowd
Just to hear You
Speak to Me

Stop the world I'm ready to listen
show me a sign, give me a vision of heaven
I can hold on to
Stop the world I need some time with You

Before I can find my voice
I need to hear Your voice
Above all the senseless noise."

~Matthew West and Jason Houser
Album: "Something to Say" by Matthew West

No comments:

Post a Comment

♫ ♪ Feel free to comment! I enjoy interacting with the readers of my blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...