. Mardi Robyn: Throwback Posts: Create In Me A Clean Heart O God Mardi Robyn: Throwback Posts: Create In Me A Clean Heart O God

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Throwback Posts: Create In Me A Clean Heart O God

Going to Church at New Vision in Alabama before moving to Mississippi, we use to sing Psalm 51:10-11 with a few words changed to make it rhyme;

Create in me a clean heart O God
and renew a right Spirit in me.

Repeat

Cast me not away from thy presence O, Lord.
And take not that Holy Spirit from me.
Restore unto me the joy of thy Salvation
and Renew a right Spirit in me.


From the first time I heard the verses put to lyrics it became one of my favorite songs to sing at Church. I am not sure I paid much attention to the verse in Psalm before hearing it in song as a teenager. Today I still like singing the song when I'm doing stuff around the house, and I love reading the verses in the Bible.

Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy Holy Spirit from me.
Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.
~Psalm 51:10-11

I have read these verses many times, but one day a year or two ago I was reading them and began to think how when these words were penned surely it wasn't a prayer void of feeling and emotion as we often quote it, or sing it. I believe there was feeling and depth, meaning, sorrow and tears. More than just merely saying the words. I believe there was repentence and a cry to be heard. Remorse for sin committed. Have you ever prayed these verses? I have. And believe me, it's not a prayer void of feeling. Think about. Read it for yourself. What emotions come to mind? I think there are to many scriptures in the Bible we read like we're quoting off football statistics. Or make-up tips and food recipes. Come to think of it I've seen people get more excited and I myself have got more excited quoting football scores, especially Alabama football scores, or reading off a recipe that sounds good, or giving a tip on make-up, or talking about a good book, or quoting my favorite quote. But when it comes to Bible reading, whether reading in my quiet time or reading a verse in Sunday School during our lesson, how many times can I recall hurrying through it, or reading it like there was no meaning behind it? To many times to count I am ashamed to say. I want to start paying more attention to God's Word and not read it like it is a dull manuscript void of life and meaning, because in all truth the Bible is not just a manuscript, it is not void of life and meaning. It is God's Word. It is God's love letter to us and in His Word we find the life Jesus died to give.

Create in me a clean heart o God, and renew a right spirit in me. I know I need God's Spirit renewed in me so that my heart is clean and I glean from God's Word that which He intended all along, a deeper more personal relationship with my Him..my Father. Restore unto me the joy of thy Salvation, and uphold me with thy free Spirit. Have you lost the joy of your salvation? Does it need to be restored? Mine does. How? Dig deep in God's word and don't let go. Latch on like a dog with a bone and don't let anyone take it away from you. God's Word is life and truth. Only in Christ can our hearts be pure and true.

In the beginning was the word and the word was God and the word was with God the same was in the beginning with God. John 1:1-2 That's proof if we want a deeper relationship with God, we got to dig in His Word!

I want God to create a clean heart within me, to restore the joy of my salvation and renew a right Spirit within me. But I can only get those results by walking with the Master alot closer than I do.

Seek God! And let Psalm 51:10-11 be true for you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

♫ ♪ Feel free to comment! I enjoy interacting with the readers of my blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...